Bobbi Kristina Brown, the 22-year-old daughter of Whitney Houston, died from complications related to oxygen deprivation, says an autopsy report released today. She went under in the bathtub in January 2015, and her life support was switched off in July that year. The Fulton County Medical Examiner listed the cause of death as “lobar pneumonia” due to “hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, delayed effects” and “Immersion of face in water complicating mixed drug intoxication.”
Bobbi Kristina was on several drugs at the time of death. According to the report, “marijuana, alcohol (ethanol), benzoylecgonine (a cocaine-related substance), benzodiazepines (medications used for sedation or to treat anxiety), and morphine” were in her system.
The opioid overdose epidemic in the US is often misreported as a single-drug issue, but most drug overdoses involve more than one substance.
The medical examiner’s office also noted that the manner of Bobbi Kristina’s death—whether it was intentional or unintentional—is undetermined.
We know that suicide is prevalent among people with substance use disorder. But with in many cases it can be impossible to tell whether the toxic cocktail that led to their deaths was intentionally fatal.